Saturday, July 14, 2007

I'm here!

It's Saturday about 1:47 pm. We are at Village Market in an internet cafe. We just ate lunch - Aimee, I branched out and rather than tuna fish had some Thai Food. As I sit here typing this, I wonder when I will have to bolt to the bathroom. Let's just hope that doesn't happen. I took a pepto before I ate.

My flights were pretty good. Thanks to the drugs, I pretty much slept the entire way. I got a little nervous when I got to London and didn't meet up with anyone on the trip. I was afraid I would land in Nairobi and not be able to find anyone there either. Luckily, it wasn't a problem. I found them and off to the luggage carousel where I waited in suspense as everyone's bags came off the plane. It took a while, but mine finally arrived. There are two people on the trip who never got their bags.

We got to the place we are staying shortly after midnight I think. We got in the car and Zane and the driver of the other car were discussing which way to get to the place. They kept mentioning certain roads because they are "safer" at that time of night. We were all kind of wondering what exactly that meant. Apparently carjackings are not all that uncommon here. I am not that worried though. So far, everything has been great. The people on the trip are awesome, just as I thought.

Tomorrow we are going to church in Kibera and spending the rest of the day there. Monday we start planting trees. We are working with 100 other volunteers on Monday to dig 3000 holes. No, that was not a typo, we are digging 3000 holes. On Tuesday, our group will go to pick up the trees and on Wednesday we are planting them.

So far, I don't really feel like I am that far away. The place we are visiting today is very Westernized. We saw some amazing sights on the drive here. Women walking down the street with bags of rice (?) on their heads, little huts with vegetables and other items. The craziness will start tomorrow. Looking forward to it!! Hope everyone is doing well!

I can receive text messages on my cell phone, so if you think about it send me a text! I might not write back but I will for sure get it.

xoxo
Aimee

No comments: